NHL minor leaguers barred from Olympics

All players currently under contract will be barred from playing in the games

Players with NHL contracts, even those in the minors, will not be allowed to participate in the Winter Olympics next February.

Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly confirmed to The Associated Press on Monday that all players under contract will be treated the same. The league announced in April it wouldn’t be stopping its season to go to the Olympics for the first time since 1994, but questions had remained about players in the American Hockey League and ECHL.

“A decision has been made that all players under NHL contract will be subject to similar treatment,” Daly said.

The AHL said earlier this summer that general managers could decide to allow players on AHL contracts to play in South Korea.

However, the recent announcement means all players signed to two-way NHL contracts or who are loaned to minor league affiliates by their clubs won’t be available to the United States, Canada or other national teams.

The move effectively eliminates someone like Montrose native, Connor Jones, who signed a two-way deal with the New York Islanders last month, from competing and playing for his country.