During Sylvan Lake’s Centennial we’re attempting to quantify the generosity of our community with information and a running tally of donations to various groups and organizations.
We know how giving our community is and we want to emphasize that with this column. Please feel free to add to our list.
Year-to-date total – $40,821.38
• The total offering from the Good Friday interdenominational community service was $1,848.50 which goes to the Bibles for Grads program.
Bibles for Grads was started 18 years ago when Sharon Neilson had a vision to see every Grade 12 student received their own Bible. The Bibles are presented during a complimentary meal and entertainment and the community centre every year. Each student receives a Bible with their name monogrammed on the cover. Local businesses also provide enough door prizes so each student receives a gift. This year’s Bible for Grad celebration takes place Apr. 11. For more information contact Sharon Neilson at Lighthouse Christian Academy.
• Lighthouse Fellowship Church of the Nazarene recently went on a Work and Witness mission trip to Trinidad and Tobago where we did work with the Caribbean Nazarene College. A total of $7,400.78 was raised through fundraisers and donations in our community!
• École Mother Teresa School students and staff raised $1,300 for the Notre Dame grad service project in support of suicide information and education services. A huge thank you to Mrs. Weaver and the Grade 8 religion class for organization and heart! – School newsletter
• $665 was raised for the Rosary Garden at École Mother Teresa School thanks to Grade 5 parents and students who helped make the bake sale a big success. – School newsletter.
• The Irish Stew held at École Mother Teresa School raised $2,365 which will go towards purchase of land for the new site of Our Lady of the Assumption Catholic Church. – School newsletter.
• The fundraising society at École Steffie Woima Elementary School sent out a huge thank you to actors in the Cinderella performance. The show was a fabulous opportunity to see how hard you have worked this year. With help of Broken Leg Studio, approximately $400 was raised. – School newsletter.
To provide information for this weekly column, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone our office at 403-887-2331.