The Hlinka Gretzky Cup is quickly approaching, and the Town of Sylvan Lake is looking to give two local children the memory of a life time.
Two children will be chosen as the winners of an art contest and will act as flag bearers during the opening ceremonies of the exhibition game.
Children ages 12 and under and compete in this contest by simply drawing a picture which welcomes Team USA and Team Slovakia.
The template is available for download on the Town’s website.
Entries will be entered into a random draw where two first place prizes will be awarded. Along with being front and centre during the pre-game ceremony, the winners will also win a pair a tickets.
Two consolation prizes, tickets to the game, will also be drawn.
The rules to the contest are:
- Open to children under the age of 12 are eligible;
- Must be competent at skating and own a helmet;
- Download an art template, or pick up at NexSource Centre reception area;
- Email your submission, or drop it off with our NexSource Centre reception staff;
- All eligible submissions are entered; no judging will occur;
- Deadline to enter is Fri., July 20 at 4 p.m.;
- Draw winner is selected Mon., July 23.
The USA vs Slovakia exhibition game of the Hlinka Gretzky Cup will be held on Aug. 4 at the NexSource Centre.
The tournament is considered to be one of the best-on-best international hockey tournaments in the world. It features “premier” under-18 players from across the world in some of the best hockey-playing nations.
Nations competing in the tournament include Canada, the Czech Republic, Finland, Russia, Slovakia, Sweden, Switzerland and the United States.
Alumni from the tournament have gone on to play in the National Hockey League (NHL) including players like Sidney Crosby, Steven Stamkos and Sylvan Lake’s very own Brandon Sutter.
Tickets are still available for purchase for the game and are being sold online and at the NexSource Centre for $25.
The tournament itself will be split between Red Deer and Edmonton.