During Sylvan Lake’s Centennial we’re attempting to quantify the generosity of our community with information and a running tally of donations to various groups and organizations.
We know how giving our community is and we want to emphasize that with this column. Please feel free to add to our list.
Year-to-date total – $352,494.39
• Rotary Club of Sylvan Lake contributed $2,000 to the Get Real program which takes place in November at École Fox Run School. The club has also recently donated $1,000 to The Water School which has a mission to provide simple, safe, strategic and sustainable clean water solutions to the developing world. For more about their simple solar disinfection system check www.waterschool.com.
• Between $60,000 and $70,000 ($65,000 used to calculate year-to-date total above) flowed to École H. J. Cody School students during the annual awards ceremony recognizing citizenship and academic excellence, $43,700 of that from the provincial government support Rutherford Scholarships. The rest was from many businesses and individuals who supported our young people through their contributions. (Story was in last week’s paper.)
• The Royal Canadian Legion, Sylvan Lake Br. No. 212, donated $900 to 7 Penhold Royal Canadian Air Cadet Squadron from the Poppy Fund (Picture was in last week’s paper).
• C. P. Blakely Elementary School’s parent council donated $1,200 to the school’s breakfast program. (Picture was in last week’s paper.)
• The Zombie Run, hosted by Best Body Fitness, raised over $3,100 for four groups — H. J. Cody JV Volleyball team, Central Alberta AA Ringette U14 and U16 Sting teams and Scouting Venturers Troop 25.
• Money raised at C. P. Blakely School’s Halloween dance last week will support various school programs and events.
• A Halloween dance at École H. J. Cody High School last Thursday, raised about $750 for this year’s grad.
• Principal Hugh Davidson was released from his jail cell at École Steffie Woima Elementary School last Wednesday after $1,255 was raised for Canadian Cancer Society.
To provide information for this column, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone our office at 403-887-2331.