During Sylvan Lake’s Centennial we’re attempting to quantify the generosity of our community with information and a running tally of donations to various groups and organizations.
We know how giving our community is and we want to emphasize that with this column. Please feel free to add to our list.
Year-to-date total – $356,822.39
• Two $1,000 education bursaries were provided by the Poppy Fund of the Sylvan Lake branch of The Royal Canadian Legion. Jill Beach and Hannah Purkiss were the recipients.
• Every Friday is dress down day at École Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic School. Staff pay $66 a year for the privilege and donate it to a charity of their choice. This year they supported the building fund of Our Lady of the Assumption Parish contributing $1,428, according to the school’s newsletter.
• The Rotary Club of Sylvan Lake collects spare change along the Santa Claus parade route each year for Sylvan Lake Food Bank. Last year they raised $900 which was presented last Friday.
• Sylvan Lake Food Bank was recipient of a drive conducted by École Fox Run School staff and students during Remembrance ceremonies last Wednesday.
• Operation Christmas Child is fully underway in our community with various organizations creating shoeboxes full of items to support the Samaritan’s Purse program.
To provide information for this column, please email email@example.com or phone our office at 403-887-2331.