Hantavirus confirmed in Central Alberta; important precautions urged

ollowing confirmation of Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome in a Central Albertan, Alberta Health Services is reminding area residents

  • Aug. 9, 2012 1:00 p.m.

Following confirmation of Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome in a Central Albertan, Alberta Health Services is reminding area residents, and all Albertans, to take simple precautions to protect themselves.

“Because humans can be exposed to Hantavirus when the urine or feces of an infected rodent — such as a mouse — become airborne, anyone who disturbs areas of mice or mice droppings can be at risk,” said Dr. Deena Hinshaw, Medical Officer of Health – Central Zone. “It’s essential that people take precautions to protect themselves, and reduce their risk of illness.”

To safely clean mouse droppings, nests, or dead mice, observe these precautions:

• Open doors and windows for ventilation, and keep out of the area for at least 30 minutes prior to commencing clean-up.

• Wearing rubber gloves, thoroughly soak droppings, nests and dead mice with a bleach/water solution (one part bleach to nine parts water) or a household disinfectant.

• Let the bleach water solution sit for five minutes.

• Never disturb any droppings, nests or dead mice, prior to soaking with bleach solution.

• Mop up bleach-soaked droppings, nest and/or dead mice, or pick up with paper towels, and place them in a plastic bag.

• Seal the bag and put in a garbage container with a tight fitting lid.

• Wash your gloves before removing, and then wash your hands.

• Never vacuum or sweep droppings, nests or dead mice. This can create dust that can be inhaled. The dust may contain Hantavirus.

Anyone dealing with significant mouse infestations, and/or mouse infestations in enclosed poorly ventilated spaces, should contact Health Link Alberta (1-866-408-5465) to discuss necessary special precautions.

Although Hantavirus infection is rare, it can be fatal. Individuals infected with Hantavirus generally show symptoms one to two weeks after exposure; however symptoms have been known to appear up to five weeks after exposure. Symptoms often resemble severe flu, including fever, body aches, chills, abdominal problems and severe breathing problems.

Hinshaw said, “It is very important that anyone who has recently been in an area contaminated by mice and who has subsequently developed severe flulike symptoms or difficulty breathing see a doctor immediately.”

—Submitted