Hedley lead singer Jacob Hoggard performs during the band’s final concert of their current tour in Kelowna, B.C. on Friday, March 23, 2018. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff Bassett

Hedley frontman’s case on sex offences put over to August

Jacob Hoggard is charged with sexual interference and sexual assault causing bodily harm

The case of rock star Jacob Hoggard, who faces three sex-related charges, was put over to next month after a brief court hearing in Toronto on Thursday.

Hoggard, the frontman of the band Hedley, was arrested in Toronto on Monday and charged with one count of sexual interference and two counts of sexual assault causing bodily harm.

The charges relate to three separate incidents involving a woman and a girl that allegedly occurred in 2016 in the Toronto area, police have said.

The 34-year-old musician did not appear in court in person but was represented by his lawyer, Ian Smith, who declined to comment on the details of the case.

“I know that there is a not insignificant level of public interest to this matter and, in particular, Mr. Hoggard’s position with respect to the allegations that have been made against him,” Smith said outside the court.

“That position will all become clear in due course and as appropriate in court, as the matter unfolds.”

Related: Hedley singer Jacob Hoggard charged with sexual assault

Related: Hedley will no longer perform at JUNOs after sexual misconduct allegations

Hoggard is accused of touching a girl under the age of 16 “directly or indirectly … with a part of his body, for a sexual purpose” in April 2016, court documents show.

The musician is alleged to have sexually assaulted the same girl in September 2016, and alleged to have sexually assaulted a woman in November 2016, the documents say.

Hoggard, who is from Vancouver, has previously denied ever engaging in non-consensual sexual behaviour, but has said he behaved in a way that objectifies women.

Hedley took an “indefinite hiatus” in March, as allegations about Hoggard gained greater public attention.

The two-time Juno-winning band had, by that point, already been dropped by its management team, blacklisted by scores of radio stations and abandoned by musicians booked as tour openers.

Hedley withdrew itself from consideration for the Juno Awards in Vancouver earlier this year and backed out of performing on the telecast.

Hoggard’s case is scheduled to return to court on Aug. 15.

Related: Hedley to take ‘indefinite hiatus’ after tour

The Canadian Press

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

PHOTOS: Sylvan Lake Curling clubs hosts Men’s Bonspiel

The second annual event was held Jan. 11-13.

Snowfall adds some delay to morning commute

The QE2 and area road conditions in central Alberta were partly snow covered

Sylvan Lake council approves concept design for Pogadl Park

The next step is a project plan for “Phase One” construction

Hard fought win for HJ Cody senior boys Lakers

Lakers took on Camrose Jan. 10 at home and waked away with a 76-65 win

Hope restored: Sylvan Lake resident receives kidney donation from younger sister

Sylvan Lake’s Lexie Libby undergo an operation for a new kidney, donated by her sister Emma.

Trudeau says politicians shouldn’t prey on Canadians’ fears

The Prime Minister was speaking at a townhall in Ontario

Olympian snowboarder Max Parrot diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma

Each year in Canada, approximately 900 people are diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma

Environment Minister clarifies misconceptions in Bighorn proposal

Minister Shannon Phillips speaks to concerns around the Bighorn Country

‘Prince of Pot’ Marc Emery accused of sexual assault, harassment

Emery denied the allegations, but a Toronto woman says she is not the only one speaking out

Asteroids are smacking Earth twice as often as before

The team counted 29 craters that were no older than 290 million years

Canada’s arrest of Huawei exec an act of ‘backstabbing,’ Chinese ambassador says

China has called Canada’s arrest of Huawei chief financial officer Meng Wanzhou ‘politically motivated’

In limbo: Leftover embryos challenge clinics, couples

Some are outright abandoned by people who quit paying storage fees and other couples struggle with tough decisions

Netflix rejects request to remove Lac-Megantic images from ‘Bird Box’

At least two shows on Netflix’s Canadian platform briefly use actual footage of the 2013 tragedy

Three Ponoka men and one youth charged in assault case

Police obtained a search warrant and located drugs and sawed-off shot gun

Most Read