On Friday October 30th, 2015 at 9:20 am, an Officer with the Sylvan Lake Municipal Enforcement Services attempted to conduct a traffic stop on a speeding vehicle along 47th Avenue in Sylvan Lake.
The vehicle failed to stop for the member and the Sylvan Lake RCMP were advised of the event. A short time later, this same vehicle was located by patrolling members of the Sylvan Lake RCMP near the Fox Run School.
As members attempted a traffic stop on the vehicle, the driver drove into the field behind the school and attempted to get away. In order escape, the driver of the vehicle rammed a stationary police vehicle causing damage to the car.
A pursuit was engaged and travelled through Sylvan Lake where the vehicle entered another field at the C.P. Blakely Elementary School and then crashed through a fence to avoid apprehension. The pursuit was re-engaged a short distance away near the Boston Pizza where the vehicle travelled to a wooded area behind Bayshore Link and got stuck.
The driver and lone male was apprehended at that time with no further incident. Subsequent investigation determined that the truck had been stolen 3 weeks earlier from a residence in Benalto, Alberta.
Of note, in each case, both at the Fox Run School and C.P. Blakely School, school was in progress. No students were put in harms way as all students were inside the buildings. No members of the RCMP were injured during this incident. The police vehicle remains operational.
Charged with the 19 criminal offences is 18 year old Dakota CORNELSSEN of no fixed address. Charges include but are not limited to the following:
– S. 267(a) CC – Assault with a weapon
– S. 354(1) CC – Possess Stolen property over $5000
– S. 354(1) CC – Possess Stolen property under $5000
– S. 249.1(1) CC – Flight from police
– S. 249(1) CC – Dangerous Driving
– S. 253(1)(a) CC – Impaired Driving by a drug
– S. 88 CC – Possession of weapon dangerous to public
– S. 430(3) CC – Mischief over $5000
– S. 430(4) CC – Mischief under $5000
– S. 4 Controlled Drugs and Substances Act – Possession of Methamphetamine
CORNELSSEN remains in custody and is schedule to appear before a Provincial Court Judge on Monday, November 2, 2015 at the Red Deer Provincial Court for a Bail Hearing.