Several current and past residents of Sylvan Lake were remembered when names were approved for the Crestview subdivision at Monday’s council meeting.
Following the town’s street naming policy, Lamont Land Inc. submitted a series of names with historic significance that had been obtained from Sylvan Lake and District Archives Society. They also supplied several other names which were adopted.
Cameron Close and Cameron Green are named after the W. A. Cameron family which bought and operated a bakery and coffee counter from August 1937 (Dell Bakery and Heather Lunch), and Winnie Cameron who owned Cameron’s Jewelry Store in Sylvan Lake which started around 1954.
Craig Road is named after Barb Craig whose parents, Jean and Charlie Palmer, came to Sylvan Lake in 1926 and operated Sylvan Lake Creamery until it was sold to Wm. Crockett in 1947.
Clayton Crescent is named for the Clayton family. Webster and Eva Clayton arrived in Sylvan Lake in November 1959 with their two youngest children, Jean and John. Earlier that year they’d purchased 20 acres in the southeast corner of town. The family kept 15-20 sows and 10-14 head of cattle until the property was developed in the late 1970s. In 1979 John Clayton purchased UFA Co-op and his father worked for him until 1990.
Cobb Drive is named for A. J. Cobb who bought the grocery and dry goods business of the Co-operative Store in 1928 later operating it as Cobb’s Community Store and then Cobb’s Limited. It was sold in 1942 to Norman Fisher.
Cody Way is named after H. J. (Bert) Cody, a teacher and principal after whom the current high school is named.
Other names which were approved include Caldwell Point, Crestview Boulevard, Concord Rise, Cambridge Way, Christina Cove, Catalina Crescent, Coverdale Court and Crestridge Point.