More than 250 people celebrated local business at the 2014 Sylvan Lake Chamber of Commerce Business Awards and Mermaid Ball at the Community Centre last Friday night.
The chamber puts on the event each year to recognize and bring awareness to local businesses, organizations and entrepreneurs who benefit the town through their products, services and knowledge.
President Dwayne Stoesz said Friday’s attendance was one of the largest ever for a Sylvan Lake Chamber event, and commended everyone involved with the Sylvan Lake business community on another successful year.
“Last year, I made the bold prediction that 2014 would be a year of firsts, a year of achievements and a year of exciting opportunities, and I believe I speak for the entire board of directors when I say many of those predictions have come to fruition,” he said. “We have seen our small town grow and prosper by leaps and bounds above anywhere anyone might have predicted.”
Stoesz said the chamber has seen a steady increase in membership over the past year, and has also grown in other ways. It now employs a full-time staff member, and its board of directors have become more structured through portfolio accountability.
Positive ongoing relationships have also proved beneficial.
“The chamber has continued to build new relationships and renew old ones,” said Stoesz. “Together we are one strong voice in the community of Sylvan Lake.”
Seven awards were presented throughout the evening. Recipients included:
● Small Business of the Year, sponsored by platinum sponsor ATB Financial: Sylvan Lake Physical Therapy
● Large Business of the Year, sponsored by Servus Credit Union: Dairy Queen
● Green Business of the Year, sponsored by the Town of Sylvan Lake: Tait Electrical
● Cheryl Darling Memorial Award for Outstanding Business Woman of the Year, sponsored by Strategis Group: Nancy Numan of ATB Financial
● Customer Service Excellence, sponsored by Unique Elevations: Clearview Glass
● Citizen of the Year, sponsored by Falcon Homes: Scott McDermott of Best Body Fitness
● Employee of the Year, sponsored by Sylvan Lake Value Drug Mart: Jordan Sinclair of Sylvan Truck Ranch