What are the longest serving continuing businesses in Sylvan Lake is the question posed by Graham Parsons.
He’s planning to put the Olympia ice resurfacer in the 1913 Days parade and wants to recognize “Sylvan Lake’s third longest serving business on his signage.
Checking our sources quickly, we found the Imperial Bank (forerunner to CIBC) opened a branch here on December 16, 1918 and built its first office here in 1919.
Cobb’s officially started in 1928 when Mr. Cobb of Delia bought the business of the Co-operative Store. We found reference to a new building built for the Co-operative Store in August 1919. So we suspect it’s the oldest or second oldest continuing business.
Sylvan Lake News published its first issue on October 31, 1935.
Are there any other businesses which have been operating longer than The News?