Two Sylvan Lake students found unresponsive in vehicle, hospitalized

Airlifted for immediate assistance

Sylvan Lake’s H.J. Cody High School. File photo

Sylvan Lake’s H.J. Cody High School. File photo

Two Sylvan Lake students were airlifted to a hospital after being found unresponsive in a vehicle at the H. J. Cody High School parking lot early morning on March 25. Both students are doing well, said the RCMP.

Two boys were found at the high school and it may have been a carbon monoxide poisoning, said Cpl. Troy Savinkoff, media relations officer with Alberta RCMP.

Sylvan Lake RCMP responded to the incident March 25 after receiving a call to assist EMS and the fire department at 9:50 a.m.

On March 28, Savinkoff said since it was no longer a criminal matter, and did not involve a sudden death, the investigation was over and the vehicle was being returned to the owner who could have the vehicle inspected.

“The thoughts and prayers of all our students and staff are with these students and their families at this difficult time,” said school principal Mike Garrow in a letter to parents and guardians.

March 25 was a non-instructional day for students. The school’s Family Wellness Team was present at the school when classes resumed on March 28. The school will continue to offer this additional support for as long as necessary.

“Children react to distressful news such as this in a variety of ways,” said Garrow.

Students and parents looking to talk to a Family School Wellness worker are advised to reach out to the school.

Supports are available in the community 24 hours a day, via the Kids Help Phone at 1-800-668-6868, or through the Mental Health Help Line at 1-877-303-2642.

We are experiencing technical difficulties with our commenting platform and hope to be up and running again soon. In the meantime, you can still send us your thoughts on Facebook or Twitter, or submit a letter to the editor.