A VIA rail train in London, Ontario. (Wikimedia Commons photo)

Via Rail calling back employees as service resumes to normal schedule

Service on the Prince-Rupert–Prince-George–Jasper route remains suspended

Via Rail Canada says most of the 1,000 employees affected by the suspension of service last month due to blockades will be called back to work as most normal service resumes on Saturday.

The Crown corporation says all services between Toronto and Montreal, along with Toronto and Ottawa will be offered, with the exception of trains 45 and 655, which will resume on Sunday.

Via Rail says the Canadian route resumed departures on Wednesday and is back to its full and normal schedule.

ALSO READ: Via Rail lays off 1,000 employees temporarily as anti-pipeline blockades drag on

However, service on the Prince-Rupert–Prince-George–Jasper route remains suspended as Via works with CN Rail, which owns the rail line.

On Tuesday, CN Rail called back most of the 450 workers temporarily laid off last month, when blockades brought the company’s eastern network to a near standstill.

Hereditary chiefs reached a draft agreement Sunday with senior federal and provincial government ministers centering on rights and title.

The Canadian Press

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Sylvan Lake Municipal Library launches Photo Walk contest

The new contest allows residents to stretch both their legs and creativity while social distancing

Sylvan Lake adopts new pedestrian crossing control policy

The new policy replaces an old one which used out dated standards

10-15 cm of snow expected before Tuesday across Central Alberta

Environment Canada has issued a special weather statement with the possibility of a snowfall warning

PHOTOS: Sylvan Lakers enjoy the spring sunshine

Warm temperatures during the final days of winter brought out residents out of their homes March 27

Non-profits that are helping people impacted by COVID-19 can apply for relief funding

Red Deer and District FCSS can draw from a provincial pot of $30 million

A message from the publisher

Consider a voluntary subscription to Sylvan Lake News

Canadian COVID-19 update: Cases spike in Quebec & Ontario; Nine O’Clock Gun salutes health workers

Comprehensive Canadian news update as of 12:30 p.m., Monday, March 30.

Eight confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Wetaskiwin County

Two new cases of COVID-19 in Wetaskiwin County were confirmed this weekend.

Vulnerable Lacombe resident says COVID-19 ‘extremely scary’

Elderly residents and people with prior conditions at risk for severe cases of COVID-19

Lacombe Police respond to multiple incidents

LPS respond to thefts, outstanding warrants

City at centre of China’s virus outbreak gradually revives

“After two months trapped at home, I want to jump. I want to revenge shop.”

Spain passes China in infections; Trump extends US lockdown

Spain becomes the third country to surpass China in infections

Most Read