I saw lots of yellow leaves today. It reminds me of how strongly I feel that fall in Sylvan Lake is the best season of all.
Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s great that we have a bunch of visitors to support our town all summer, plus I love the summer heat and barbecues. But, I was out for a run today and it was so hard to run down the path on lakeshore, it reminded me of why I never go that route in the summer. It was great to see everyone having so much fun, but it’s too many people for me. We have trouble getting out of our driveway some days in summer due to all the traffic.
I am not a fan of all the bugs at this time of year either. I have contemplated running with my swim goggles and a painters mask on a few times. Extra protein right?
But fall, how I love fall! It’s hot during the day and cool at night so it’s easier to sleep. The streets and lake shore all calm down. We can roam freely again. The sun goes down a little earlier and my four year old is a little easier to put to bed when it’s dark. It becomes too cold for the bugs at night, so they leave.
The leaves and all the colour changes are amazing, that reminds me, I had better book a photographer for some family photo’s. (I say that in case it helps remind you to do the same). I love the way fall smells. I love that the Farmer’s Market has so much more to offer at this time of year in the way of local fresh fruits and veggies.
I love fall, because after September long weekend, we can get back to a really great routine again. We see so many gym members fall off the wagon, go on holidays, etc, and we miss them all summer. Maybe you have had to cover for co-workers on holiday or catch up on your own ‘to do’ pile after you have been gone that was so big, you wondered if the vacation was worth it.
Fall to me, means structure, getting back to the good, positive, powerful routines. Focusing on health and fitness and letting go of the 1,500 calorie parties that are fun in the moment, but costly on the waistline. At the gym, the energy builds up again; classes are exciting and full of life. Kids are back at school learning new things, parents are more able to spend some time with adults for much of the day, it’s different.
Sure, I know that winter is coming and as much as I was born and raised here in this part of Canada, I am not the fan of winter I used to be.
I can’t wait to see all of you again, back at the gym, back at boot camp, back in the cycling classes, and generally back at it. Yes, we still have a few weeks of summer left, so enjoy them, get out and move and play and explore.Enjoy an ice cream after the long weekend, when you know everyone’s in the store, but there’s no line up.
So as we ease back into fall, it’s time to restart the proper eating plans, get some new goals in place and fire up the planner to fit in when we are going to get back in shape after a summer off. And hey, if you stuck with it all summer, nice work! You are in the elite category. There are so many things starting up in September and we are spoiled for choice. I love it!
Your top 5 tips for getting back into shape after a summer of, well… you know:
1) Ease back into it. If you haven’t been at the gym or in boot camp all summer, don’t go full tilt on day one, you will just be really sore for several days. Your lungs and your heart may be de-conditioned, so again, give them time to adapt.
2) Write out some basic food intentions and start getting back on track. You don’t need to go all in for the new meal plan, (of course you can if you like) but maybe just ease back in. Keep a few summer parties on the calendar –it’s not about being a hermit.
3) Make sure you take some time to stretch, get a massage, do some yoga – it will help with the stiffness at first.
4) Put the workouts in your calendar, so they are like appointments. Planning ahead is magical!
5) Increase your water intake to help you flush out any toxins and support your muscles waking back up!!
Above all, have fun.