NHL minor leaguers barred from Olympics

All players currently under contract will be barred from playing in the games

Players with NHL contracts, even those in the minors, will not be allowed to participate in the Winter Olympics next February.

Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly confirmed to The Associated Press on Monday that all players under contract will be treated the same. The league announced in April it wouldn’t be stopping its season to go to the Olympics for the first time since 1994, but questions had remained about players in the American Hockey League and ECHL.

“A decision has been made that all players under NHL contract will be subject to similar treatment,” Daly said.

The AHL said earlier this summer that general managers could decide to allow players on AHL contracts to play in South Korea.

However, the recent announcement means all players signed to two-way NHL contracts or who are loaned to minor league affiliates by their clubs won’t be available to the United States, Canada or other national teams.

The move effectively eliminates someone like Montrose native, Connor Jones, who signed a two-way deal with the New York Islanders last month, from competing and playing for his country.

Just Posted

Photos: Grade Two class creates holiday scenes

Steffie Woima students worked on their Christmas tree projects Dec. 15

Christmas spirit alive at Steffie Woima

Students at Steffie Woima performed in Christmas concerts throughout the week

RCMP lay 34 charges in stolen vehicle operation

Red Deer RCMP arrest 13 people in four-day covert stolen vehicle operation last week

Lakers win close home opener

The senior girls’ Lakers beat the Lacombe Rams 58-52, Dec. 12

Red Deer RCMP investigate Oriole Park home invasion

RCMP believe it was a targeted home invasion, targeting wrong residence

Firefighter dies, thousands more take on California blaze

This is second death linked to the Thomas fire, northwest of Los Angeles

Missing Alberta man could be headed to Victoria

Police in Alberta say Vernon “Allan” Pickard has not been heard from since late November

Cineplex charges extra at some Star Wars screenings

Fans are getting a surprise twist at the box office with extra $1 charges for assigned seating

FCC votes along party lines to end ‘net neutrality’

Move rolls back restrictions that keep big providers from blocking services they don’t like

5-year anniversary of Sandy Hook shooting

When just saying ‘I’m from Newtown’ can be a cross to bear

Disney buying part of 21st Century Fox in $52.4B deal

Disney is buying a large part of the Murdoch family’s 21st Century Fox for about $52.4 billion

Bountiful polygamist believed he couldn’t be prosecuted: lawyer

Winston Blackmore’s lawyer says Blackmore did not believe he could be prosecuted

Woman charged after altercation injured baby in Toronto

Charges have been laid after a four-month-old baby girl was critically injured in Toronto

Most Read